Kuthalur Parish

Click Here to Read Kuthalur Parish History in Tamil

Kuthalur Parish was established in May, 1860 by the French Jesuit Missionaries under the Roman Catholic Arch-Diocese of Madurai. Today, the parish comes under Roman Catholic Diocese of Sivagangai.

Kuthalur was one of the largest parishes in the integrated Madurai Archdiocese, and it had boundaries up to Melur in the West, to Devakottai in the East, to Tirumayam in the North & to Nattrasankottai in the South which covered 40 Sq Km with 120 Substations.

It was the Mother Parish to the parishes Devakottai, Ramnagar, Senjai(Karaikudi), Sekkalai (Karaikudi), Kallal, Satharasanpatti & Tirupattur in Sivagangai Diocese.

Historical Information:

The Parish when it was started was functioning with small chapel in Kuthalur, which was dedicated to St. Sebastian and the present Parish Church was functional since 1872.

Prior to the commencement of this Parish in 1860, Rev. Fr. Peter Ferrin S.J. began his ministry in Marava Nadu with his base in the village of Kuthalur.

There is an unconfirmed information that St. John De Britto (Arulanandar) had stayed in Kuthalur for a week to spread the Good News.

Until the establishment of Sivagangai Diocese, Kuthalur Parish was one of the key Jesuit Parishes in Madurai Archdiocese.

God’s Day was one of the early experimental ventures of Fr. T. J. Baliah S.J. the then Parish Priest to promote Inter Religious harmony of religions. This was launched with the name of Kadavul Bhakti Thinam (God's Day) in 1940 and the same was celebrated in the Parish until in 1975 (kindly check this). This religious event welcomed lots of interactive and dialogue sessions on inter-religious experience and expressions.

Educational Service:

St. Sebastian's Middle School was started in 1933 and run by the Kuthalur Parish management to provide educational facilities to the poor people in and around Kuthalur, within a radius of 10 k. m. It was one of the good schools in the region known for good teaching & discipline.  The school helped the RC community in Kuthalur to have 100% literacy rate (through the influence of the priests & nuns) and provided foundation to seek for Higher Education up to College level. Today, many people from RC Community are spread across the globe.

Convent of Immaculate Conception is existent from the beginning of 20th Century. They played a vital role in development of the School, Catechism & Prayer Services.

The Current Situation:

Today, the Parish has only 13 substations which covers 4 Sq Km with less than 500 Catholic Families.    However, the Parish is the integral part in Diocese of Sivagangai to provide good formation of Christian values, principles, teachings and services to the people across the religions.